What are bioflavonoids and why are they helpful

It seems as if “bioflavonoids” is a popular buzzword of the millennium. But what are bioflavonoids and why are they helpful?

Bioflavonoids are a group of naturally occurring plant compounds, which act primarily as plant pigments and antioxidants. They exhibit a host of biological activities, most notably for their powerful antioxidant properties.

Bioflavonoids work with other antioxidants to offer a system of protection. Numerous studies have shown their unique role in protecting vitamin C from oxidation in the body, thereby allowing the body to reap more benefits from vitamin C.

Bioflavonoids are present in all botanical supplement products and foods. In fact, many medicinal herbs owe their curative actions to the bioflavonoids they contain. Besides the important antioxidant effects, bioflavonoids help the body maintain health and function in many ways. They have been shown to be anti-mutagenic, anti-carcinogenic, anti-aging, and promote structure and function in the circulatory system.

Bioflavonoids Health Benefits
The main health benefits of bioflavonoids fall into two categories: health-promoting effects and therapeutic effects. The health-promoting effects include better eyesight, improved cardiovascular health, increased capillary strength, improved structure of connective tissues and appearance of skin, and a stronger immune system.

Bioflavonoids also offer the health-promoting effect of lowering the risk of some diseases, such as atherosclerosis, cancer, arthritis, and gastrointestinal disorders. The therapeutic applications include treating a variety of diseases and disorders. Several of these are coronary heart disease, allergies, inflammation, hemorrhoids, respiratory diseases, viral infections, some types of cancer, and peptic ulcers.

Bioflavonoid Superstars
Different bioflavonoids tend to have different health effects on the body. Some of the common bioflavonoids and their benefits are outlined below.

• Quercetin’s primary use is for the relief of allergies and inflammation. In scientific experiments, it was found to be an effective inhibitor of histamine release from mast cells – the cause of allergic reactions.
  • Pycnogenol™ has cardiovascular benefits, boosts the immune system, helps improve the appearance of the skin, helps varicose veins, provides relief from arthritic pain, and helps reduce inflammation.
  • Grape seed extract has beneficial effects on the circulatory system. Some of these include improvements to cardiovascular health, protective antioxidant effects, improved eye health, and anti-inflammatory action.
  • Green tea extract plays a beneficial role in protecting against certain infections, improving cardiovascular health, promoting better dental hygiene, and offering protection from the development of some types of cancer.

The most recent scientific breakthroughs confirm that these powerful nutrients are an important part of a healthy diet. Studies from around the world support the fact that diets high in bioflavonoids are associated with lower incidences of most diseases. Along with other phytonutrients, the health benefits of bioflavonoids are one reason why the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Surgeon General’s office advocate the intake of several servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Powerful, health-promoting nutrients from nature – the virtues of plants will never cease to amaze us.

24 thoughts on “What are bioflavonoids and why are they helpful

1. Denny Rhodes

I have horrible looking forearms due to bruising under the skin. I can bump my arm on an object and will bruise immediately. I do not take aspirin.
    I purchased some capsules, Bruise Free and cream,Arnicare on Saturday,2/14/2009.
    Have not seen any improvement as of yet.
    Any suggestions to help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

D Rhodes

2. kate

I had great success with Quercetin. I have extremely bad headaches due to allergies every year especially in spring. This year was the first year I could actually enjoy spring and be around flowers with no pain even Lillies did not give me a headache! It’s a huge miracle for me. I am so happy to have found this out.

3. Jennifer

I took the l-lysine vitamine for cold sores/fever blisters every day for about 2 years. and i went from getting cold sores 10 times a year or more to about 5 times a year. it does help for the most part, but doesnt get rid of them completely.

4. nd

What are the benefits of the bioflavinoids found in rose hip fruit extract? I found a Rose Hip Fruit Extract from Nature’s Answer but couldn’t find much right up on it’s nutritional benefits.

Thank you for your response.

5. marian soriano

i have varicose vain for long time and this my big problem and now im taking biorutin 1000 mg.it this product can help my problem.thank u.

6. Pingback: Health Benefits of Blueberries and Blueberry Juice | Health Juices - Healthy Drinks

7. Bella

I have bruises that don’t go away, I was told that vitamin C and bioflavanoids could help. Please let me know if that is a solution.

8. barbara letourneau

i hve taken bioflavnoids for years i have varicose veins and poor circulation…like to know if natures life is a good brand or if another brand is better…the problem being fillers

9. Norma Huckaby

which bioflavonoids are good for the immune system, protecting the cells of the body against environmental pollutants which protect the cell membranes.

1. Gary Pepper M.D. Post author

Women tend to bruise easier than men since women have more tiny blood vessels close to the skin surface (capillaries); using aspirin and other pain relievers such as ibuprofen (Motrin) will increase bruising so avoiding those could help; vitamin C supplements as you mention may be useful to reduce bruising

Dr. P.

10. Bioflavonoid Guy

Great write-up. The first time I heard about the term “Bioflavonoids” I was definitely unsure exactly what it meant. Now, I can say that knowledge is much clearer. In fact, some of the most popular supplements and vitamins can be included in this category.

11. Jennifer Harkey

I am having a problem with my arms. Blood spots are starting to pop up for no reason and my skin tears when I bearly nick something. What will help this? Oh, I recent turned 59 years old, thought this only happened to people around 80 yrs old or older.

1. Gary Pepper M.D. Post author

Hi Jennifer

I suggest you see your doctor to find out what is happening. The doctor will take a history to find out if this is due to something you are taking or not. Aspirin, high dose vitamin E or pain relievers such as Anacin or Motrin are products that can increase the bleeding tendency in certain people. The doctor will also likely check your platelet count which is a measure of the number of platelets in you blood. Low levels of platelets can also cause bleeding into the skin which is what you describe.

Let us know what happens.

Dr. P.